Log in

Trying a new restaurant

One of the Meetup groups I joined this year visits different ethnic/international restaurants in town. This afternoon, I had lunch with the group at an Ethiopian restaurant in Old Colorado City. The food is designed to be eaten by hand using a spongy bread to pick it up. There were dishes with and without meat. I decided to try a vegetable combo plate including red and green lentils, chick peas, green beans, garlic and onions. It was delicious and very filling.


Yum, ouch and light

According to the other guests at the Thanksgiving dinner, the "Yum Yum Corn" dish I made lived up to its name. I mixed the corn with cream cheese and butter, with a bit of garlic, sugar and parsley.

There wasn't a Toastmasters meeting Friday, so I went bowling with members of my singles group. I didn't do as well this time partially due to my right ankle hurting. My scores were 98, 98 and 92.

One of my Christmas list items will be a floor lamp. One section of my living room barely gets any light at night. I've used my small Christmas tree to light that area year-round, but the top half of the tree's lights stopped working a month or two ago.

Warmer Thanksgiving

One of my old improv classmates was at last night's party. He asked me if I'd be interested in doing another "class reunion" show sometime. Even though I haven't done any improv in years, I'd like to perform again. The chicken potstickers I brought were quickly devoured, along with most of the other food. Before the party, I watched some of the dress rehearsal for the theater's Christmas show.

I only have one large pot, so I did a quick load in the dishwasher to get the pot clean for the corn dish I'm making today. Unlike last year, I don't have to worry about snow or icy roads. It's currently sunny and 54 degrees outside. So far this season, there have only been 2-3 light snow showers here. Usually, that means February-April will have much more snow.

More prepping for the holidays

"The best way to prepare butternut squash? Cube it..."
"Riiight! What's a cubit? Vooka-vooka-vooka!"

I bought a package of potstickers to bring to the improv theater's pre-Thanksgiving party. At work, I wrote down a few things to put on my Christmas list. As with last year, I'll put them on an Amazon.com wish list to share with my dad and my brother's family. Christmas is on a Sunday this year. I don't know if I'll be able to work that day, though I'd like to.

Fun plans for next week

The library where my Toastmasters meetings are held accidentally double-booked our usual meeting room today. After speaking to a few library staff members, our meeting moved downstairs to a smaller conference room. There won't be a meeting next Friday due to Thanksgiving. My local singles group is having a bowling meetup next Friday.

I sent in an RSVP for the Bovine Metropolis Theater's pre-Thanksgiving party. I'll bring a couple of appetizers (or a main dish and appetizer) since this party usually has too few of those, and an overabundance of desserts.

Same dosage for one-seventh the price

I picked up my generic Prozac refill today. I was supposed to get thirty 60mg pills. The pharmacist explained I was given ninety 20mg pills because that would only cost me $11 instead of $82 for the 60mg pills.

I'm glad I got my medication and got more groceries today. Tomorrow's forecast shows a 30-40% chance of rain and snow, then it'll be sunny again for the next few days.

Delay on happy pills

I saw my physician for a follow-up appointment on Monday. My pharmacy never called me to say my Prozac refill was ready, so I hadn't picked it up. The refill will be ready after 4 PM Tuesday. I'll see the physician again next month.

UPDATE (3:55 PM): The pharmacy just called to say my refill wasn't shipped today. It will arrive tomorrow at either 11 AM or 4 PM, so I'll stop by at 4 PM Wednesday.

Too sleepy to think of a good title

I need to submit my next time card before Thursday this week since the payroll office will be closed next week for the Thanksgiving break. I'll be doing a split shift today since my co-worker had an appointment during his regular shift. I'll work from 5-10 AM and 1-5 PM, with my co-worker covering the 10-1 part. I feel like I need a nap between shifts, and maybe after the second shift as well.

As I did last year, I will be having Thanksgiving dinner with members of a local singles group. Last week, I bought the ingredients I need for a corn dish.

Closing time

I had planned to sign the paperwork for my Toastmasters club's new account Friday, but I forgot the credit union was closed for Veterans Day. I will try again on Monday.

I wanted to go to a singles meetup this afternoon. Unfortunately, my accounts are nearly drained until Monday or Tuesday. I was able to go to another meetup Thursday night, though.

The Idiocracy has arrived

My basic view of the presidential election results:

I had been too smug when the electoral votes started being tallied. Since most of the early results were from typically-red states, I mistakenly thought, "Enjoy your lead now, Donny. You'll be losing it by the end of the night."

In spite of this, there were a few bright spots in the election. Sheriff Joe Arpaio lost his re-election bid in Arizona, Colorado's minimum wage measure ($12/hour minimum wage by 2020) passed, and several state and local candidates I supported won their races. Sadly, the "ColoradoCare" measure (Amendment 69) lost by at least 80%. With that defeat and the possible repeal of the Affordable Care Act, I may be without health insurance again unless the new leadership actually does come up with a better alternative.

It's almost over!

Even though I dropped off my ballot long ago, I can't wait to say "Bye, Felicia" to this election cycle tomorrow.

My sleep schedule yesterday was a bit different. Instead of napping during the hours after work, I stayed up and watched the Funday Pawpet Show. The Rabbit Hole wasn't on afterward due to the host being away. Another furry hosted a game stream playing Quiplash 2, Tee K.O. and a couple other games. I napped for a few hours after that, then got up to listen to Doggy Radio.

Getting more than a haircut

I'm glad my body is getting used to a semi-regular sleep schedule. Moving back to the morning shift on Saturdays at KRCC and getting an APAP machine have eliminated most of the tired feelings I get during the day. The only days I have odd sleep hours now are Sunday afternoon and Monday morning, since I nap after my Sunday shift then stay up overnight for The Rabbit Hole and Doggy Radio.

I got my haircut this afternoon. I had a coupon for a free haircut at a new location of Sport Clips, a sports-themed salon featuring TVs at each stylist's chair tuned (during my visit) to ESPN. In addition to the free haircut, the store was running a free "MVP Upgrade" promotion. This included a tea tree oil shampoo with conditioner, hot face towel, and a shoulder and neck massage. The shampoo/conditioner stations also had vibrating chairs!


Tomorrow, I will bring my car into an auto shop (again!) to get an estimate for repairing my car's hail damage. This time, I told the clerk it would be "self pay" instead of paying through insurance. While I'm out, I'll also get a long-overdue haircut.

I went to a couple of dining meetups yesterday. The "Happy Hour" group had dinner and drinks at Amanda's Cantina on the north end of town. The food I had was okay but not great, though it was reasonably priced. Another group member only took a few bites of his food then said it was horrible. Service was also a bit slow since the restaurant was busy. Later that night, I went to the local furry meetup at a Village Inn. Since I had already eaten dinner, I just ordered a piece of French silk pie for dessert.


Trick-less but not treat-less

Since Halloween fell on a Monday this year, I had a support group meeting during much of the prime trick-or-treating time. I had bought a small bag of candy on the way home, but I decided to just leave my porch light off until I go to bed.

A mesh-lined view of a favorite activity

My savings and checking accounts will be dry until Monday. I wanted to have a bit more cash on me for last night's bowling meet, so I took my change jar to a King Soopers location with a Coinstar machine. After the transaction fee was subtracted, I got $27.95.

The bowling meet was the first time I wore my fursuit head and tail outside my home. My fursuit's maker was also at the meet and arranged to come by my home Wednesday to make adjustments to my suit. It took a few frames for me to get used to bowling with a fursuit head. My scores were 82 and 104. My vision was slightly blurry since I couldn't wear my glasses under the head. I'm thinking of getting some prescription goggles to wear over the mask. I just had water during the meet to keep from overheating; I had wanted to order a drink or two, but I was usually bowling when the server came around. I didn't need to order food since I had a large dinner beforehand. The meet raised $366 for Nakio's Underdog Rescue.

I got about four hours of sleep after getting home. Before I take a nap later today, I'll put an ice pack on my right ankle since it's been hurting for the past week.

Chill Collie!

I picked up a couple of pizzas for the Toastmasters group potluck and got to the library around 11:40. At around 11:55, I suddenly remembered the group now meets at 1 PM instead of noon. As I started to walk out of the library, I found another group member waiting who didn't know about the later start. (She had been unable to attend the last few meetings.) Since I had about 50 minutes to kill, I went to Safeway and bought a few things the potluck usually needs but doesn't have like cups and plates. One member usually brings chicken wings for an appetizer, so I bought a package of moist hand wipes as well.

Free Speech TV called me a half-hour ago about scheduling a tour of their studios in Denver. I was supposed to be part of a meet-and-greet a couple of years ago when I made a pledge to the station. I'll be taking the studio tour next month.

Weekend with some dogs

I went to a couple of get-togethers on Saturday after work. The first was with a local Happy Hour Meetup group at the Wyndham Mining Exchange. This was the hotel where Donald Trump had gotten himself stuck in an elevator. The bar offered 2-for-1 appetizers, so I had popcorn chicken and green chili cheese fries along with two local beers. Later that night, I attended a friend's birthday party at a bar on the west side called Cerberus Brewing Company. I had a few rum-and-cokes and a dessert of "puppy chow" (granola coated with peanut butter, chocolate and powdered sugar.) After the party, I bought a couple of souvenirs from the bar: a collar/bottle opener and a plastic bowl.


Full suit is temporarily a partial

I tried on the body of my new fursuit tonight. I'm glad the maker said she could adjust the crotch if needed, because it's definitely needed. The suit's legs wound up still being baggy while the upper body was an inch or two short. Lowering the crotch a few inches should solve that problem. I tried on the hands and feet, and those fit just fine.

I was looking forward to wearing the suit to the bowling meet this coming Saturday. I suppose I could still wear the head and tail, or just wear my kigurumi. I'm not sure if there are any other fursuiting events I'm able to attend between the bowling meet and FoxTrot in December.

Testing, 1, 2, Zzzzz...

I was given another sleep test this week. The monitor I got from the doctor was a different model. I didn't have any caffeine after 6 PM last night. I had trouble falling asleep due to feeling hungry and had a cinnamon roll. I guess the sugar from that kept me awake since I couldn't fall asleep until 2 or 3 AM.

While listening to a political show, I thought "Nasty Woman and the Bad Hombres" sounded like the name of a band. This led to me remembering Norm Macdonald's "Hidden Track" from his Ridiculous album where he talked about Star Search:

"Our challengers, Hot Property, received... 1-1/4 stars! Our champions, Chunk Of Shit, received... FOUR STARS!"

Here he is!

My collie fursuit was delivered to me this afternoon! I'm a bit tired now, so I just tried on the head.

Road closed to goal-reaching traffic

Both of the errands I scheduled for today wound up not going as planned. I brought my car to an auto body shop to get an estimate for fixing the hail damage. I was told I needed to bring the written estimate USAA gave me (I forgot it.) Later, I went to a credit union where another Toastmasters member and I were supposed to meet to open a new club account. I waited inside for over an hour, but the other member never showed up.

I may just delete my LinkedIn account. I haven't had any luck finding a job using that site. Several of my "connections" on LinkedIn have said the site hasn't helped them either.

Fuzzy bowling and fuzzy math

The furry bowling meet in Denver was held at the same alley (Celebrity Lanes in Centennial,) but it was in a more private "party room" with four lanes this time. Some furries brought cakes and cupcakes to celebrate a couple of birthdays. For dinner, I ordered a barbecue bacon cheeseburger and two "Whiskey Orchards" (Crown Royal, Peach Schnapps, Angry Orchard cider and Grenadine.) The lane I was on had a faulty scorekeeping system. The bowlers would sometimes be credited with more pins than they actually knocked down, or given strikes when they only knocked down 7-9 pins. My scores were 156 for a complete game, and 121 for a seven-frame game. The group's photo shoot interrupted the bowling, and most of the bowlers opted to leave after the shoot. Even though my score was partially "enhanced" by faulty equipment, I got a Guardians of the Galaxy mug with a dancing Groot figure as a prize for the highest score.

The next bowling meet I will attend is on October 29th in Colorado Springs. I'll have a little something special for that meet.

I'm at work at KRCC at the moment. I didn't get much sleep last night due to the meet, so I'll sleep for a few hours once I get home. I should be awake for at least part of The Rabbit Hole and Doggy Radio.

Reach out, reach out and touch someone

KRCC's membership drive ended at noon today. I felt good for most of today, though my mood took a huge dip in the last hour of the drive. About 20 minutes before the drive ended, the general manager decided to change plans for the on-air pitching. I was able to handle the changes, though I was a bundle of nerves. I wish the manager would think of these things in advance and plan accordingly (e.g. using "pledge-friendly" show episodes with shorter segments and more breaks.) Thankfully, my mood was boosted an hour or two later by a (drunk/high?) caller who had an idea about a different type of anti-drunk-driving PSA. I also got to take a late caller's pledge.

I'll be heading to the Denver area in a little bit for tonight's bowling meet. At least I can relax there and work off the little bit of frustration I have left.

Now I (sort of) have one of the TV "diginets" I've wanted to receive. Yesterday, I upgraded my cable service to the next tier. I mainly did this to receive some of the news networks like BBC World News, and also the additional entertainment channels. One of the channels, Blue Highways TV, carries the diginet Laff's programming during a large part of its schedule. This channel carries mostly 1980s-2000s sitcoms like Ellen, Night Court, Grace Under Fire and The Drew Carey Show.

I answered phones at KRCC from 6-9 AM and 3-4:30 PM. The phones were really busy most of the morning since there were a couple of "matching funds" challenges.

I'll be going to a furry bowling meet in Denver Saturday night, and another one in Colorado Springs near the end of the month.

I'll be waiting...

The Medicare people who were supposed to meet with me yesterday never showed.

After tomorrow's Toastmasters meeting, I need to have the auto body shop look at my still-mostly-dented car to get an estimate of the repair costs.

KRCC's membership drive will wrap up Saturday afternoon. I like earning extra money answering phones during the drive, but getting up for the early shifts was occasionally tough.


Latest Month

February 2017



RSS Atom
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Tiffany Chow